We just went live with another successful SAP BW project! (woo-hoo!)
A lot of people on the project were understandably nervous. This was the culmination of 18 months of effort for hundreds of employees (and thousands of decisions).
And what about us on the technical team? Here’s what we were doing at 5AM during cut-over weekend …
That’s not to say that we didn’t experience a few surprises (even after 3 smooth practice runs).
A few things occurred differently in Production than the Quality and Staging environments such as …
- Connectivity issue between SAP BW and Clickschedule
- Connectivity issue between Informatica and SAP BW (due to restarting of servers)
Our team were able to effectively handle these surprises only because we had practiced the routine and were familiar with the steps. In addition, our checklist was refined even further after each rehearsal.
The checklist proved invaluable because it …
- Displayed all tasks and assignees
- Allowed clear inter and cross team communication
- Contained a history of past actions and expectations
If you’re looking for a boring go-live so that you practice your juggling skills, then check out my guide. I’ve distilled our process into 3 parts plus a handful of programs that we used to ensure a smooth transition.
Get this plan for your next go-live.
Sign Up now and get the FREE Checklist.